I am back with a lovely recipe ... And this is one of my favourite greens.. Spinach !! Yum yum!! I remeber my uncle's daughter Shriya.. who used to eat Palak and remember Popeye!! It was my favourite cartoon toooo... And the survey says that this particular cartoon has made Spinach popular and export of this greens is three times higher than previous years!!!
And the myths around these veggies are partially true!! These two vegetables are purifiers... they purify blood!!! Tomatoes are very powerful!! They can cure many of the diseases like stomach ache, blood impurites, excessive fat problems!! For me Spinach is a divine vegetable as it strengthens the bones.. particularly women need bone stength when they reach menopause!!!
All you need :
Spinach - 2 bunches, washed and finely chopped
Tomatoes - 2, finely chopped
Onions - 2 , finely chopped
Coriander - 1/2 cup , finely chopped
Turmeric - 1/4 tea spoon
Red chilli powder - 1 tea spoon (as per your taste )
Salt - to taste
Urad dal - 1/2 table spoon
Chana dal - 1/2 table spoon
Jeera and mustard - 1/4 th table spoon each
Oil - 3 table spoons
Besan - 1 table spoon
2. Now add jeera, mustard and let them splutter.
3. Add the onions and fry till they turn pink and transculent.
4. Drain excess water from spinach and add in the onion mixture.
5. Keep the lid on the kadai and cook for 5 mins or till the spinch oozes the water.
6. Keep stirring in between to avoid burning of the veggies!!!
7. Now when the spinach is totally cooked add the tomatoes and cook in a low flame.
8. Cook the whole mixture till the tomatoes turn pulpy and dissolve into the mixture.
9. Now add salt, tumeric powder, red chilli powder and chopped coriander.
10. Stir the gravy .... besides make a mixture with besan and two table spoons of water
11. Mix the besan mixture to the curry and Serve hot with Rotis!!!